Every year NAEP releases items and the public can access these itemsat no cost from the NAEP Questions Tool.
The NAEP Questions Tool provides easy access to NAEP questions, student responses, and scoring guides that have been released to the public since 1990.
- Questions are available for grades 4, 8, & 12 in various content areas.
- Users can search for individual questions or for a block.
- Users can examine student performance on specific questions by subgroups.
- State specific results are available for years the state participated in NAEP.
- Scoring procedures are explained.
- Teachers can create their own tests by picking and choosing the released items they want. The items are easily downloadable.
- Item formats are multiple choice, short constructed response, and extended constructed response
Released Items Available
Subject # of released items as of 2007
U.S. History 358
Approximately 2150 items are available for use in the classroom.
- The items in the NAEP Questions Tool may be reproduced as long as any copyright restrictions are observed for third-party These restrictions are noted on the questions that have them.
- If you publish any part of the questions provided here, please include the acknowledgment below. The year and the name of the assessment you are using should appear at the end of the statement.
- SOURCE: National Center for Education Statistics, National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), year, name of the assessment